Monday, June 9, 2008

1. Get it on a calendar
Plan the time it will take to put your staging plan into motion

2. Money
Put together a staging budget. What can you spend to give your home a fresh look? Paint, plants, and decorative touches like candles & throws are a low cost option. Consider value-added staging. How much return can you expect from your investment?

3. De-clutter
Think about renting a storage unit. You don't need to throw it away... Just pack it up and put it in storage. It will be waiting to go to your new home.

4. Home Maintenance
No holes in the dry wall, broken light-switches, or electrical appliances that don't work. Now's the time to get everything in top shape and eliminate any potential "surprises" for your buyers.

5. Clean
Do a "super clean" to everything... every surface, appliance, under and behind furniture. Seek out the deep down dirt and make it all spotless. Have the carpets professionally cleaned and then to wrap it up, make sure the house smells great.

6. Identify the "Image Staging " you want to do and apply how it would best fit your home.

7. Identify the "Display Staging" that would apply to your home.

8. "Value Added Staging"
Does adding tangible value to your home make sense for your situation? Think about what might fit into your budget and determine what's appropriate for your home

9. Identify Resources
Who and what might you need to carry out your Plan? Electricans, Plumbers, Contractors or just people (friends) to help with packing and moving stuff to a storage unit. Check out the cable Real Estate shows for some great and free ideas to add into your Staging Plan. Don't forget the Internet and Magazines for some additional design inspiration. Spend some time writing out all the little details ("...I'll need to rent a truck... pick-up some boxes... get paint...etc.)

10. You Can Do It -
Once you've written down a plan, you're off and start staging!!!


Unknown said...

While I do agree that some people may be able to study staging and do it themselves - only 10% of people can visualize how something could be, so that leaves 90%. Many can meet with a professional (skip accreditations go with experience)stager and go over all that needs to be done and then implement the plan.Others because of time constraints would rather have a stager make and implement the plan. Not all stagers are equally talented and not everyone can stage.

Feature This... said...

Stagers cost money, no doubt.

But if the stager is highly skilled in creating cost-effective results, and creates cost-effective results daily, perhaps they see a savvy fix where a lay-person to staging might not.

The thing about an experienced stager is that they know WHAT to do, HOW to do it, WHERE to source it, and WHO is the best person in town to do it if indeed, it requires a professional installation/repair.

One little "whoopsie" in any of those capitalized decission-areas will likely cost you a lot more than the stager's consultation fee does.

Resources and experience are both just not something you can pass around the table and absorb by reading a few pages on a website, or in a book, or in a magazine.

I am all for owners staging for themselves. But for the sake of your hard-earned equity, consult with a professional real estate stager, tell them you want to stage for yourself, and need their guidance. Many stagers will do this extra coaching for a nominal fee above their normal consult fee.

We aren't greedy ding-bats with pretty pillows. We know what buyers are looking for, right now, in your very neighborhood. We can tell you exactly what you need to do to compete, and how best to spend your precious home-preparation budget and milk that sucker for ALL it's worth, and then some.

That's what we do, and what we want to do for you